Alto de Letras
THE MYTHICAL ALTO DE LETRAS, THE LONGEST MOUNTAIN CYCLING CLIMB IN THE WORLD, AWAITS US!
Climbing 82 kilometers in Alto de Letras is every cyclist's dream. It can be a stretch, two, or the entire route, but you can't miss this experience.
Which cyclist has not dreamed of pedaling through the Alto de Letras? and who doesn’t! if it is the longest mountain bike ride in the world, it is 82 kilometers, starting from San Sebastián de Mariquita, 495 meters above sea level, near the Magdalena River, and climbing to the mythical Alto de Letras, at 3600 meters above sea level. Although it is a route with an even inclination, the length of the route is what makes it a world-class challenge.
Colombia’s famous cyclists have pedaled the Alto de Letras on the Vuelta a Colombia (Tour Colombia), this is how they got the famous name of Escarabajos de Montaña (mountain beetles). As you go up, you can see how the landscape and the weather change, the environment becomes more dramatic and surprising, this experience will be felt in your mind and in your body.
The heat of the tropics and the lush vegetation open the doors to cyclists, in the first section in which just 6 kilometers away you can see the Nevado del Tolima that, if the weather allows it, looks imposing on the side of the road. we will cross towns like Parroquia, Fresno, Delgaditas and Padua; This last town could be considered half of the route, approximately 45 kilometers from San Sebastian de Mariquita, from this point we begin to enter the moorland area.
So, you cannot miss this experience that you will never forget.
San Sebastián de Mariquita, Nevado del Ruíz, Fresno, Padua, Alto de Letras and Coffee Farm, in Manizales.
- 82 kilometres Paved road
- 3.600 Altitude at Alto de Letras
- 436 Altitude at San Sebastián de Mariquita
- 7 a.m. We leave Bogotá and travel by private transport to Sebastián de Mariquita.
- 8: 00 a.m. Breakfast (via Sebastián de Mariquita
- 12:30 p.m. Hotel Check in Sebastián de Mariquita
- 1:00 p.m. Lunch
- 3:30 p.m. In the afternoon we can make a 20 km bike trip to the city of Honda. (optional) With this we can stretch our legs for the next day.
- Free afternoon.
The mountain awaits us!!
- 5: 30 a.m. Breakfast.
- 6 a.m. We leave from San Sebastian de Sebastián de Mariquita to Alto de Letras
- 12 a 1 p.m. Lunch*
Alto de Letras
* Each participant’s lunch will be organized during or at the end of the route, according to the challenges of each person or group.
- 7 a 9 a.m. Breakfast
There is a great variety of activities to do in this spectacular farm. (horseback riding, bird watching, hiking and much more.)
*Inside the package there are one included.
*Coffee Tour (The life of a coffee bean from seed to cup)
- Starting at 9:30 am
Duration: Approx. 3 hours
*Chocolate Workshop (From Bean to Bar)
- Starting at 3:00 pm
Duration: Approx. 1.5 hours
We leave Manizales and travel by private transport to Bogotá
- 7 to 9 a.m. Breakfast
- 11 a.m. We leave Manizales / Sebastián de Mariquita.
- 1: 30 p.m. Lunch at Sebastián de Mariquita.
- 2:30 p.m. Sebastián de Mariquita / Bogotá
- 7 p.m. Arrival in Bogotá (approx)
Alto de Letras route - Day 2
- Private land transportation Bogotá / San Sebastián de Mariquita / Manizales / Bogotá.
- Bicycle (Road or mountain Bike).
- 3 dinners
- 1 hotel night in San Sebastián de Mariquita in double accommodation.
- 2 hotel nights in Manizales Coffee Farm (or equivalent) in double accommodation.
- Health insurance
- Photographic record
- 1 activity at the Coffee Farm (Manizales)*
On the route:
- Energy bars
- Hydration drinks
- Assistance car/ mechanic following the group during all trips.
- Anything not mentioned in the package.
- Alcoholic drinks.
- Additional drinks (to those offered at breakfast, lunch and dinner).
- Additional drinks to those offered by BIT from San Sebastián de Mariquita to Alto de Letras.
- Purchases of personal items during your trip.
- Additional activities or tours.
- Lodging and transportation of extra people (family or friends).
- Airline tickets.
- Extra transfers
- Extra charges at the hotel.
- Wear comfortable and sporty clothes. If you are interested, you can contact us to purchase BIT’s cycling special clothing.
- Use sunscreen
- Have a healthy breakfast before leaving the hotel.